"Stay hungry, stay foolish", Steve Jobs (1955 - 2011)
One of the greatest challenges facing development teams, or individual departmental developers, is the integration of business logic or rules into an application. This CodePlex project introduces how to integrate SharePoint 2010 and Office Open XML into
Office applications that are backed by Windows Workflow 4.0 (WF4). Using WF4 with custom SharePoint and Open XML activities simplifies coding by providing reusable code activities that can be dropped into workflow-driven business logic. Think of Office workflow
activities as giving you plug-in business logic for a Word or Excel solution.
The vision is decoupled Office / SharePoint Windows Workflows that run on existing Office 2007 and 2010 desktops that can transition
to future cloud offerings.
Windows Workflow 4.0 with SharePoint 2010 and Office Overview
The project is divided into two phases. Phase I is focused on Windows Workflow 4.0 activity designers that use the SharePoint 2010 Client Object Model, Office Open XML and XSLT Content Transforms to enable client-side business / content workflow tools. Phase
I is the tools side or Office desktop workflow side of the project. Phase II will focus on Silverlight web applications that consume SharePoint / Office based workflows from Windows Workflow 4.0 WCF-based web services.
For more details, please refer to http://desktopweb.wordpress.com/.
Project Goal and Scope
Build a community focused on enterprise quality Microsoft Office .NET add-in’s that connect to SharePoint 2010 applying Microsoft best practices. The project aims to simplify the integration of SharePoint 2010, Office Open Xml and other .NET capabilities
into Office applications. The vision is a suite of SharePoint 2010 Client Object Model, Office Open Xml and other relevant Office Workflow Activity Packs. The latest check-in is a starting point for Office related activity packs such as the following:
- SharePoint 2010 Activity Pack
- Office Open Xml Parts Activity Pack
- Desktop View Publisher Activity Pack
Enterprise Business Workflows (Windows Workflow 4.0)
- Data Model Activities
- Managed Code Activities
- Integrated Workflow Designer
- SharePoint 2010
- Office Open Xml Workflow Activities
- SharePoint 2010 Client Object Model
WPF Custom Task Panes (Xaml Panes)
- RichText Editor with Spellcheck
- Latest check-in has some preliminary code
- Other Task Pane User Controls
Managed Add -In Framework
- Managed Add -In Framework (Snap-in or Plug-in Model)
- See Also NetOffice.CodePlex.com
- Incorporate Logging Block for load failure troubleshooting
Further, the project’s goal is to apply Microsoft Patterns and Practices to release industry standard Office extensions.
Microsoft Patterns and Practices
- Prism provides guidance designed to help you more easily design and build rich, flexible, and easy-to-maintain Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) desktop applications and Silverlight web applications.